Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Peterson and Public Opinion

Image from www.foxsports.com



Under no circumstances is it acceptable to cause intentional physical harm to a child. I grew up in a time when "Go get a switch" or "Where is my belt" foreshadowed an imminent physical behavioral correction.  Multiple generations my age (37) and older accurately state "I received spankings and I turned out just fine, thank you". In 6th grade (Jefferson County (Kentucky) Public Schools), I once received punishment in which I stood in the hallway (in public eye), held my ankles for 20 minutes, and received several paddle spanks from my science teacher. I'm not sure if it hurt or caused a mark because I aimed to be tough and not react to it. I may have even laughed to taunt the teacher. Additionally, many times my parenting skills draw heavily on my experience with my perception of my parents' parenting skills. I parent exactly like my parents at times and exactly opposite other times. With that said, I have physically punished my daughter exactly once. As a toddler, I took her out of her car seat and as I stood her up on the pavement next to my car, she made a b-line for the street.  I caught her in plenty of time and I gave her a mild to moderate open-handed swipe on her diapered hind end. The physical pain didn't make her flinch, the emotion pain of the correction made her cry. I have never laid a corrective or punitive hand on my daughter since. This is my choice. This was not my experience as a child but is my choice as a parent. 

The Minnesota Vikings decided to place fallen franchise figurehead, Adrian Peterson on an exempt inactive list until his recent child abuse charges are resolved.  Peterson was indicted for child abuse charges in Texas after reports and photos surfaced of his 4 year old child's injuries as a result of being spanked with a tree switch, admittedly at the hands of Peterson. The story originally broke on Saturday, 9/13, he was inactive for the game on Sunday and was reinstated early this week. Cue public outrage...The general public opinion is that Peterson's behavior calls for a much more lengthy ban, especially considering the recent horrifying video displaying a domestically violent vicious hit by another NFL figurehead, Ray Rice against his then fiance. The governor of Minnesota spoke out against the Vikings organization and its handling of the scandal. Mass public opinion lashed out against the Vikings. Finally, after at least two sponsors spoke out against the organization (loss sponsorship revenue), the Vikings decided to take more action against Peterson.

Here is my rub.  I agree Peterson and Rice deserve punishment for their actions.  Child and/or domestic violence are two of the most heinous forms of violence. The physical and emotional damage to the victims last a long time, maybe a lifetime. However, I am concerned by the initial response of the league and team(s) as being one of minimal punishment, then public backlash allows the disciplinarians to review, recant, and re-punish. While they may get the punishment right in the end, the method is alarming and in my opinion is unethical. I understand the NFL/Vikings as employers and organizations can set their own rules, but an obvious double jeopardy as a result of public outcry and threats show an incredible lack of integrity for the organization and create an alarming precedent that could eventually be allowed to grow outside the realm of the private organization. If the US Government feels compelled to force private organizations to provide benefits that are in direct conflict with the private organizations' core beliefs, how long before the government tries to allow for double jeopardy when some horrifying piece of evidence surfaces that doesn't change the guilt of the previously admitted perpetrator, but further enhances the disgust of the public.  How long before a convict admits guilt,  is punished by his peers and then is re-punished because some judge or official decided to withhold funds for the locale because the punishment was deemed unjust. A business leader in my company always says, "You get what you tolerate." If we tolerate and proliferate courts of public opinion and fluid punishments based on those opinions, slowly those courts and punishments will become a part and be accepted as a part of our lives. Considering the force with which a story will develop and metastasize through social media, the current state of affairs suggest the court of public opinion will become larger, more diverse, and quicker to judgment.

The NFL and the Minnesota Vikings are in full damage control mode. The fear of loss of revenue is causing these organizations to make error corrections on their doling out of punishments.  However, the league/organization needs to admit its mistake and correct the precedent established with the original judgments by fixing it in the future, not by destroying the erroneously implied rights already established with the accused.  The league got it wrong in the beginning, Rice and Peterson shouldn't pay the price for the league's wrong.  The league and the organization should pay the price.

UPDATE- Adrian Peterson agrees with the Vikings's judgment of addition to the exempt list.  His agents believes it will allow Peterson to appropriately address the situation and he believes it is the best possible way to resolve.  I still contend this should be the course of action before the public outcry, not as a result of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment